Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Holy Grail of Mechanical Pencils

Pentel Quicker Clicker Classic

The most perfect mechanical pencil ever produced was the (classic version of the) Quicker Clicker by Pentel. It may sound like hyperbole, but it's true. It was made to last literally forever. It's design didn't try to make a fashion statement. It was a no-nonsense pencil that worked. The barrel was just the right diameter. The side clicker was conveniently located. The eraser's metal clip enabled one to use the entire eraser.

I bought my first Pentel Quicker Clicker pencil back in 1988. It was a blue .05mm model. It served me faithfully daily for 15 years. It was with me for every soccer and baseball game I coached. It was with me on every school field trip. It was with me for every program and system that I designed during that time. The internal lead feed mechanism finally failed in 2003.

When I went to buy a replacement, I discovered that Pentel had changed the design of the Quicker Clicker. The new model had an integrated comfort rubber grip and was made of inferior material. Luckily, I found a spare green .05 classic tucked away in one of my moving boxes. I've been using it daily ever since. But I was concerned that should it get lost or broken, I would be left without a classic Pentel Quicker Clicker for the first time in 20 years! After scouring the 'net, I found a "hidden" web page on Pentel's eCommerce site where they were selling the last of their stock of classic Quicker Clickers. I immediately purchased 6. I can now sleep better at night knowing that I have a lifetime supply of classic Quicker Clickers.

Even though I'm posting this on April 1st, this is no joke. Just ask Eva!

1 comments:

Proverbs 31 Woman said...

Trust me...it is no joke.

Post a Comment