Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Field of Dreams

The other day I was going through some boxes of stuff and ran across my old binder of baseball cards. There's approximately 400 cards from the 1960's through the 1970's. These aren't cards that were bought as an adult, but the actual cards that I saved through the years...eventually making it from shoe boxes to binder.

Baseball cards

Inserted amongst the Tom Seavers, Catfish Hunters, Reggie Jacksons, Pete Roses, and other legendary greats, I ran across the two most valuable cards pictured here.

1995 was the year that Tommy started youth baseball. Fatbat wiffleball helped introduce 5 & 6 year olds to youth sports and the fundamentals of baseball. It was the year that Frank graduated to the "Minors" where the coaches pitched to their 7 & 8 year old players.

I had the pleasure and honor of coaching my boys for the entirety of their youth baseball experience. I was not the stereotypical over-the-top parent/coach that is unfortunately too common today. My sons are the most respectful and kind boys a dad could ask for. Any time we spent together was a great time.

Coaching youth sports takes a lot of hard work. But the treasure trove of memories I have coaching my boys makes it all worth it. To see and help Frank develop into a player with pro-ball potential is something that makes a dad proud. It was great to see Tom avoid the trap of trying to follow in his brother's footsteps and carve his own path. He too developed excellent, all-round skills and abilities but added an additional element of critical thinking.

Tom and Frank are now 18 and 20 respectively. Neither one will be playing pro-baseball. But our baseball memories are what dreams are made of.

0 comments:

Post a Comment