Monday, July 20, 2009

...one giant leap for mankind.

For the last 4 days, our living room has been transformed into mission control as we watched a real-time reenactment of the Apollo 11 moon mission. The actual NASA audio transmissions between Mission Control and the Apollo 11 were played exactly 40 years from their original transmissions. Computer simulations were choreographed to the audio. All courtesy of http://wechoosethemoon.org/

Even though I was nearly 7 yrs old, I remember the Apollo 11 mission back in '69. This reenactment felt so real. All four of us were drawn into it. Throughout the mission, the kids asked questions. I was excited to talk about it with them. I was surprised at just how much I remembered about the mission. This wasn't like watching a documentary... it was reliving an historic event as if it were happening now.

When I heard the transmission of "Houston, this is Tranquility Base... the Eagle has landed." I felt a chill run down my spine. The Apollo 11 moon landing took on a whole new perspective 40 years later... and as a Christian.

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. (Psalms 19:1)
When I consider how the Apollo 11 mission stretched the resources, skills, and intellect of man to its limits (of the times), I conclude that my humble view of man is not humble enough. Looking at the what it took just to reach a satellite "only" 238,000 miles starts to put the scale of the universe and man's place in it into perspective. And above it all, the power, majesty, and sovereignty of God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment