Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Grass IS greener!


The old adage, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." and Irma Bombeck's spin on it, "the grass is always greener over the septic tank" reveal quite a bit about human nature. In my case, the grass is greener right here!

As I was watering my lawn, I realized that I spray half the yard to stop things (weeds) from growing, and spray the other half to get things (grass) to grow. Only in Arizona. :-)

That patch of lush, cool, trimmed, green grass reminded me to be content right here, right now. As a software developer, an engineer, a planner, "looking down the road" is a frequent requirement of the job. But just as one can zone out mesmerized by the white lane dividers on a highway, we can sometimes get that tunnel vision about what is going on around us.

"Now godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

As I look down the road at the new opportunities and adventures in ministry, I find that I'm not impatient but eagerly anticipating. I end my work day a bit earlier than usual (still later than I should though), putter around the yard, and even take time in the early evening to start a fire in the fire pit. We've all sat around the fire enjoying each other's company more in the last 2 weeks than we have in the last 6 months. Drinking coffee, joking with the kids, sharing my heart with Eva, I remembered just how few people get to do this. Peace, tranquility, joy, love, grace, and yes... contentment.

I am truly a blessed man living an abundant life. None of which I deserve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment